Monday, June 2, 2014

Life Inside A 129-Square-Foot Apartment

This is the subject of a FastCompany.com magazine feature.

The article presents the ideaa of a human (or more than one of those?) living inside 129 sq. ft. as revolutionary.

But wait: Let’s page back to 1974, when I moved to Manhattan. I got a job at Flooring magazine, as associate editor. I was paid almost nothing, but still — I wanted to live where the action was.

So I moved into a 5-story building — a walk-up. I lived in an apartment that was 8-foot, 8-inches-wide at its widest point. I’m not sure how long it was, but it seemed (it lived like) a very small shoebox.

There was room in there for my books, a small kitchen, and a tiny bathroom. Some of the units had creative things — the neighbor downstairs (on the 4th floor) had a loft of sorts built in — a place to sleep, under which you could put stuff.

There’s no question that this can be done. I DID IT. So did many of the other people in that building.

In 1974.

Now. it’s been presented as revolutionary. It’s as if we just rediscovered The Fricking Wheel!!!

Source: http://electricalcontractor.com/?p=14238

electrical contractors company certified electrician construction electrician able electric auto electrical repair

No comments:

Post a Comment